Privacy is important to our company. Please refer to our customer privacy notice above for more information about how we collect, store, manage and use personal information. .
What Is A Cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent, in the form of a text file, from a website to the user’s device, such as a computer, smartphone or tablet. The purpose of a cookie is a way for the website to “remember” user behaviour or keep track of previous actions. This includes remembering the contents of an online shopping cart for example, or actions the user performed whilst browsing the site if they are not signed up or logged into their online account.
Whilst Hisense SA Sales Holdings (PTY) LTD does not necessarily know the identity of the user of the device, the company will be able to see the behaviour recorded on the device. Should there be multiple users of the same device, they will not necessarily be distinguishable from one another.
Cookies are used to identify the device and, if the device is linked to a specific user, the user would also be identifiable.
Which Cookies Do We Use?
First- and third-party cookies refer to the website or domain using the cookie. Cookies are set by the website that the user is visiting. First-party cookies are directly stored by the website (or domain) visited by a user. These cookies allow the company and website owners to collect analytics, data, remember language settings or perform other useful functions that provide a good user experience.
Hisense Sa Sales Holdings (PTY) LTD Cookie Notice
Third-party cookies are created by domains separate from the website that the user is visiting. These cookies are usually used for online advertising or cross-site tracking. They are accessible on any website that loads the third party’s server code. For example, when a user visits a site and clicks a “like” button, this could be stored in a cookie. When visiting the third-party site, the cookie will be used to action the request. For example, a user browses online for a specific product, finds an advert of interest, clicks the advert and thereafter closes their browser. Several hours later, the user notices advertising of the same product that they were browsing for earlier. Where cookies are only valid for a single session, the cookie will be erased when the user closes their browser. Where cookies persist, the cookie will be stored by the user’s browser until deleted by the user.
The company will only process cookies which identify users for lawful purposes:
- If a user has consented thereto;
- If a person legally authorised by the user, the law or a court, has consented thereto on the user’s behalf;
- If it is necessary to conclude or perform under a contract that the group has with the user;
- If the law requires or permits it;
- If it is required to protect or pursue the user’s, the group’s or a third party’s legitimate interest (e.g. for fraud prevention); or
- If the user is a child and a competent person (like a parent) has consented thereto on the child’s behalf.
- Fraud, financial crime and other crime prevention, detection or reporting;
- Managing and improving security for the group and users (for example to prevent fraudulent use of login details);
- Various analytical reasons, e.g. how the company’s website is used so that improvements can be made;
- Marketing and advertising, for example to decide which solutions (goods, products, services or rewards) users may be interested in and to customise marketing on various applications and websites; and/or
- Recognition of users or devices which return to the Hisense SA Sales Holdings (PTY) LTD website.
What Happens If A User Does Not Want Cookies?
All browsers allow users to refuse to accept cookies and to remove current cookies. The methods for doing so vary between different browsers and versions. Users can block cookies on the company’s website, if desired. Blocking certain cookies, however, may have a negative impact upon the usability of the website.
Further Information About Cookies
- Users’ browsers store cookies and the company’s website cannot access any data on a user’s device;
- As cookies are stored in text files, they cannot be used to distribute viruses to a device;
- On a single device with multiple users; the experience the company’s website will be according to the multiple users, and not an individual’s actions;
- Previous cookies collected by the website will not be deleted should a user choose to disable cookies after visiting the site. This will simply prevent the creation of new cookies. Expired cookies will be removed automatically.